Thursday, November 16, 2017

ALEX IWOBI HAS REVEALED WHY HE CHOSE NIGERIA OVER ENGLAND.


Alex Iwobi stunned the Three Lions when he opted to play international football for Nigeria in 2015 despite featuring in England's youth teams.

Iwobi insisted that despite knowing only the England national team as a boy, his African roots informed his decision.

"I was growing up in England and England was the only national team I knew, so I was actually very pleased to play at national level," Iwobi told Soccer Laduma.

"However, my family are all from Nigeria, I was born in Nigeria, my uncle (Jay-Jay Okocha) is a legend in Nigeria.

"That's why I thought I would give it a chance. That's why I went to the U23s and somehow felt more welcome, and I thought it's where I belong, so I made the decision to switch."

Iwobi has emerged as a key man for Genort Rohr's side, after scoring the decisive goal against Zambia that ensured Nigeria's qualification to the World Cup in October.

After the match against Zambia in October, Iwobi had an interview with Arsenal website and explained how it feels like to be part of the Super Eagles team that will be going to Russia.

"When I actually scored, the moment was crazy, I remember running off celebrating, he told Arsenal website.

"I almost cried, I actually almost cried to see how the fans were reacting, to see my mum and dad in the stands; it was just an amazing feeling.

"To go to the World Cup you can see it’s not just the players’ dream, it’s the fans’ dream as well and for me to get the goal for us to go through I’m just proud to do that.

"Yeah, it’s basically my family, where they’re from, where I’m from; it’s my homeland, so it’s always an honor to wear the green, white and green.

"I mean I’ve seen so many kids on the street when we’re like in the bus, they’re screaming “go Nigeria, go Nigeria”, so to represent them, I’m just proud.”

The talented forward also put up a man of the match display against Argentina on Tuesday. His brace helped the Super Eagles to a comfortable 4-2 win over the South American giants.

Source: www.clubgist.com

No comments: