Friday, August 25, 2017

RECAP OF MOURINHO'S PRESS CONFERENCE.


Manchester United made a stunning start to the new season. The Red devils won their opening games by 4-0 respectively against West Ham and Swansea.

Mourinho's men hit Saturday's opponents - Leicester for four last season as Chris Smalling, Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba all found the net.

The Portuguese gaffer spoke to the media on a number of issues on Friday,  including the big fight this weekend between Mayweather and McGregor.

ON THE BOXING BOUT.
Mourinho said:
My dream was to start a boxing fight and handle it in a different way.
Both showing their qualities in a fight not just boxing.
It is silly from me.
It is too late, I have to sleep and the next morning I will look at it.

ON ROONEY'S RETIREMENT FROM INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL.
Mourinho said:
“He told me the night before.
I am nobody to tell him agree, not agree, to do it or not do it, just listened to his reasons and I understand his reasons.

He does it for Everton, he does it for his family, so I have no complaints.
I just realise, like many other people, when he retires, you realise how many matches he played, how many goals he scored, what he represents for the football in this country and many congratulations for his career with the Three Lions.”

ON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW.
Mourinho said:
“I think it’s a dangerous group and, if you go to the recent history of United, United lost against Basel, United couldn’t beat Benfica in two matches.

I think also against CSKA Moscow the last time was 0-0 or 1-0 or something. I know there’s three places, I never played against Benfica in the Champions League but of course, I know the dimension and the quality.

I played a few times against CSKA, I play against Basel too, I know the places, the stadiums, the atmospheres, the style of play.”

ON SATURDAY'S OPPONENTS - LEICESTER CITY.
Mourinho said:
“I think they are the same team as they were two seasons ago.
Are they going to be champions again? Honestly, I don’t think so because there are many teams that I don’t think all of them are going to fail.
But I think in terms of their qualities, I think they are the same team and they are playing exactly the same way they played before.”

ON ANTHONY MARTIAL.
Mourinho said:
“I think when you have some talent, you cannot waste it.
I think when you’re blessed with some talent, you have to fulfil that talent, you have to explore that talent, you cannot be happy just with glimpses of talent.

I want more from him because he has all the qualities for that. But I think he understands me better too and the personal relation [between us] is good, so again Anthony, I hope he’s going to be better this season than last season.”

ON MKHITARYAN'S GROWING INFLUENCE.
Mourinho said:
“I think Henrikh understands me, and to be honest, I understand him because in the beginning of the season if he understands me better, he would have started better.

But at the same time, if I understand him better, I would probably help him in a faster way than I did.

But, we spent our time together, working together, learning each other. The second part of last season was good for him and I believe with his talent that this season is going to be even better.”

ON ZLATAN'S RETURN.
Mourinho said:
I don’t want to think about it, I don’t even ask, speak about it or with the medical team about it, he will be an extra man for us in the second part of the season.

When I say second part I say normally we say January after Christmas, when the transfer window reopens in January but I have no idea at all.

I think the right way is not even to think or speak about it and just let him do his work step by step and comeback when he’s ready.

ON THE INJURY FRONT.
Mourinho said:
“Young will come back earlier than Luke. We need our squad, we need everybody, but there is no rush with Rojo.

There is no limping. Just straight runs and repetitions. We have to respect the timings and they are bringing him to the team around December.”

Manchester United hosts Leicester City on Saturday 17:30 GMT.

No comments: